Tequio Scholarship Application 2023
Application period from May 10, 2023 - June 23, 2023
The Indigenous concept of “Tequio'' is an ancestral cultural legacy among the Indigenous communities, which can be described as "a disposition of wills that seek to meet needs or solve collective problems
through community organization” (Mentado 2017). Established in 2012, the Tequio Scholarship Fund shares this commitment to serve our Indigenous community by inspiring and encouraging academic
success by providing scholarships to Indigenous Mexican students. Our scholarship recipients include high school (seniors), community college, and university students from Ventura and Santa Barbara counties.
In the spirit of Tequio, we seek to support highly motivated students who share this commitment to serve our Indigenous community.
MICOP is offering two scholarship types:
- Tequio Scholarship - Indigenous Mexican students attending college or university
- MICOP Edison Scholarship - STEM students attending a 4 year university
- Please see eligibility criteria for both scholarships below.
Student Eligibility for the Tequio Scholarship Fund:
(Previous scholarship recipients are encouraged to apply)
- Open to students of Mexican Indigenous background.
- Reside in Ventura County or Santa Barbara County.
- Open to (2023) high school seniors, community college or university students (not restricted to
traditional students or age groups).
- Enrolled or will be enrolling in, Fall 2023 semester in college or university (part- or full-time).
- Undocumented, AB540, DACA, and US citizens are eligible.
Student Eligibility for MICOP’s Edison Scholarship Fund:
(MUST meet the following requirements)
- Meet the requirements for the Tequio Scholarship plus the following
- Be a STEM major in the following fields: computer and information systems, engineering, engineering technology, management information systems, mathematics, natural resources and conservation, and physical sciences.
- Enrolled, or will be enrolling, full-time at a four-year university and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. (Applicants for this scholarship must be full-time students)