Indigenous Language Services
HOW IT WORKS
Contracted agencies contact Mixteco Interpreter Services to schedule an appointment for an interpreter. Interpreter services are delivered by trained bilingual (Mixteco-Spanish) interpreters. Trilingual (Mixteco-Spanish-English) interpretation is more limited but also available. All interpreters graduated from a 40-hour California Healthcare Interpreter Association training program and receive continuing education.
Mixteco Interpreter Services assigns an interpreter for on-site services, or possibly phone interpretation. MICOP invoices client agency by the hour on a monthly schedule. Current contracted agencies include health providers, school districts, and legal services.
ADVANTAGES OF A PROFESSIONAL INTERPRETER
- Convenience — Access to a pool of trained Mixteco interpreters from one source.
- User-friendly — Easy process to request and schedule an interpreter.
- Training — MICOP Interpreters receive ongoing training and specialization on specific subject matter and terminology
- Trust and Recognition — MICOP is well established and enjoys a solid reputation in the community
- Confidentiality — Each interpreter is bound by a confidentiality agreement to ensure client privacy.
Many agencies which choose not to hire a professional interpreter rely instead on a client’s brother or friend, or even a client’s child, to interpret into Mixteco. Misunderstandings, breaches of confidentiality, or potentially life-threatening errors can result. Use of professional interpreters is recommended—and often required—to ensure clear communication.
While the training received by MICOP interpreters was designed with healthcare settings in mind, it is based on a set of standards of practice and protocols that are applicable and relevant to any other setting. These standards and protocols were developed by CHIA and are widely accepted by the language interpretation industry at large.
To ensure the highest quality language interpretation services possible, MICOP’s language interpreters have been trained to strictly adhere to Confidentiality, Impartiality, Respect for individuals and their communities, Professionalism, Integrity, Accuracy, Completeness and Cultural Responsiveness.