Job Opportunity: Policy/Communications Associate
JOB TITLE: Policy/Communications Associate
REPORTS TO: Associate Director
ANNUAL SALARY: $20/hour – Full-time
Application: Please send your resume and cover letter to Genevieve.email@example.com
Deadline: March 29nd, 2019.
Founded in 2001, Mixteco/Indigena Community Organizing Project (MICOP) supports, organizes and empowers Ventura County’s indigenous immigrant communities through improved access to health and community resources, community organizing and advocacy, education, direct assistance, cultural promotion, and Radio Indígena.
MICOP is currently seeking a Policy/Communications Associate responsible for analysis and advocacy around local, state, and federal policy issues and new and traditional media communications. The position will be supervised by the Associate Director. This position will be particularly focused on health access and health policy, but will work closely with MICOP’s central team to provide policy analysis and communications support for organizing campaigns around MICOP’s policy priorities, including health access, farmworker/labor, mental health, and domestic violence.
- Work with Ventura County health care agencies, organization representatives, and with the indigenous community to a) improve health policies and health programs such as the self-pay discount and Global Payment Plan (GPP) that will increase the quality of health care access to the uninsured population in Ventura County b) increase awareness among indigenous immigrant families of the importance of enrolling uninsured children and adults in Medi-Cal and/or maintaining health coverage.
- Understand the health care system in Ventura County (e.g Ventura County hospitals’ and clinics’ discount programs, as well as the charity care program). Understanding the Federal Qualified Health Centers, Department of Health Care Services, HCS, Federal Poverty Level.
- Work and communicate at the county level with Ventura County Health Care Agency(VCHCA) for improved safety net services for uninsured adults.
- Provide input into the development of health coverage outreach and enrollment materials and tools for education and community leaders.
- Event outreach at health fairs, the weekly Oxnard Farmer’s Market, area school events, monthly meeting, Radio Indigena, agriculture fields, community events, etc.
- Supervise the team of promotores/as that will educate community about the county’s safety net and Medi-Cal enrollment through workshops.
- Participate and represent MICOP in statewide advocacy for immigrant health coverage as a voice for VC indigenous immigrants.
- Update Health Access guide regularly as policies change. Check in with different health care agencies to ensure information is up to date.
- Advocacy and referral to safety net and discount programs for uninsured or underinsured adults.
- Accurately track activities, success stories, outreach and event data.
- Generate monthly reports.
Policy & Communications
- Producing research briefs for publication on social, economic, and environmental justice policy issues to share with policymakers, reporters, and allies
- Providing research and policy support for MICOP central team’s campaign needs
- Support with written and multimedia content for MICOP’s online presence including mass emails, webpages, social media posts, etc.
- Graphic design support of flyers, posters, infographics, fact sheets, etc. to support MICOP’s communications
- Writing press advisories, press releases, op-eds, organizing press conferences and working with local reporters to increase regional media coverage of MICOP policy priorities
- Assisting MICOP staff and indigenous leaders with preparation for media interviews and speaking in public forums
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience required.
- Commitment to MICOP’s mission.
- Group facilitation skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Previous for community organizing experience preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office computer programs.
- Strong editing skills. Basic design/layout experience desired.
- Knowledge of electronic media such as Web sites, e-Newsletters, Social Media, & other Web 2.0
- Strong analytical, negotiation, and problem-solving skills.
- Must understand the government structures.
- Previous policy analysis experience.
- Familiarity with local, state political processes.
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings and have reliable transportation.
- Bilingual Spanish-English skills required. Mixteco a plus.
LOCATION: MICOP central office