Job Opportunity: Radio Programmer/Producer
JOB TITLE: Radio Programmer/Producer
REPORTS TO: Radio Coordinator
ANNUAL SALARY: 20hrs/week (part-time), $15/hour + Benefits (Dental insurance, 3 sick days)
ORGANIZATION SUMMARY: Founded in 2001, Mixteco/Indigena Community Organizing Project (MICOP) supports, organizes and empowers Ventura County’s indigenous immigrant communities through improved access to health and community resources, community organizing, language interpretation, education, direct assistance, cultural promotion, and Radio Indígena.
ABOUT RADIO INDIGENA: Radio Indígena is a low-power community radio station, created by and for the indigenous immigrant community of Ventura County. As a program of the Mixteco/Indigena Community Organizing Project (MICOP), Radio Indígena trains indigenous community members to be radio DJ’s and broadcasts news, information, and indigenous music and culture throughout the Oxnard Plain and beyond. The project has a volunteer committee that guides the vision of radio with over 30 active community members giving their time voluntarily to reach their dream of having their own radio station. At this time, Radio Indígena broadcasts on 94.1 FM, as well as over the Internet, and via mobile applications for Apple and Android. Radio Indígena currently has programming in 5 languages: Mixteco, Zapoteco, Purepecha, Spanish and English.
POSITION SUMMARY: MICOP seeks a Radio Programmer/Producer to join our low-power community radio station, Radio Indígena 94.1 FM. The Radio Programmer/Producer will oversee Radio Indígena daily programming, production and editing, including the PSAs and podcasts development with volunteers and trained DJs. The ideal candidate will have experience in radio programming and media production. He or she will have an ability to research and learn media software/equipment.
- Lead Radio Indígena’s daily programming and media production
- Review the program log (registro de programas) on a weekly basis and note errors in the Error Log.
- Update Spinitron’s program schedule each time a DJ is in training or when the quarterly schedule begins
- Assist Radio Coordinator with outside engineer consultant to upkeep antenna and transmission equipment; ensure maintenance of physical radio studio
- Submit a monthly basis report using Aggregate Tuning Hours/Actual Total Plays and Spinitron reports to Sound Exchange and other licenses (BMI, ASCAP, etc.)
- Train staff/volunteers to rip CDs using Exact Audio Copy (PC) or XLD (PC)
- Train staff/volunteers to tag music files with using TagScanner (PC) or Kid3 (mac)
- Develop an organized method to add music to the master archive
- Communicate and collaborate with Radio Coordinator regarding all relevant events and decisions
- Other duties as assigned
- Radio related field or relevant professional experiences (Bachelor’s Degree preferred)
- Ability to understand and learn about radio software (ex: Sam Broadcaster, Audacity, etc.) and equipment (ex: audio console: Allen & Heath 14)
- Must submit a demo or production that demonstrates initiative, creativity and effectiveness in radio or similar area
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent organizational skills, attention to details, responsible, flexible schedule
- Ability to work independently, under deadlines, without close supervision
- Reliable transportation
- Bilingual: Spanish and English (Mixteco/Zapoteco/Purepecha is a plus)
- Commitment to uplift and supporting indigenous identities and languages
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and demo to Arcenio J. López at firstname.lastname@example.org or in paper form to the MICOP office, 520 West 5th St., Suite G, Oxnard, CA 93030 by http://mixteco.org/about-us/jobs-at-micop/.